Thursday, March 19, 2020

A Quck Recovery Update

It’s been awhile since I updated about recovery, skating, hockey, etc. With the world gripped by Corona Virus, looks like I’ve got some time on my hands.

MEDICALLY
On December 20th, 2019 I had another surgery. Some hardware was removed from my ankle, and they scrapped out some internal scar tissue. Hopes were this would make my ankle more flexible and functional. Up to this point, things were not progressing as fast as anyone would have hoped. I was cleared to skate again (within reason) on Feb 19th, 2020. Orthopedic surgeon made a very poignant comment. “You no longer have any restrictions, but you will certainly have limitations. What those are, and how you manage them, is up to you to find out.” That is actually good life advice.

ACTIVITY
My ankle is still fucked-up. Maybe better than before the second surgery, but nowhere near what it was before the break. It will probably never be 100% again. The question remains just how much I will get back, and how long that will take. I am skateboarding again (very low impact, and no tranny over 2’ high). I am back on the hockey (in-line) skates, but haven’t been back on the ice yet. For short distances, I can “run” (light jog) in a very fucked-up way. In the near future I will make another post which is specifically about what I can/cannot do with skateboarding at this point.

MENTALLY
First, I still have a lot of “reinjury anxiety.” It’s a real thing. That will take quite some time to go away (if it ever fully does). Second,  I am very happy to be skating again, even at limited capacity.

No comments:

Post a Comment