Friday, August 21, 2015

Do what you love, before you can’t.

Someone made a comment to me about skateboarding and the so-called mid life crisis the other day (e.g. the implied that I was having one, and that’s why I was still skating). Paraphrased, this was my response.

A mid-life crisis is when someone tries to either assert how so-called young they are, or they decide their life is not going the way they wanted it to, and suddenly make some rash/bad decisions. I have been skateboarding for 29 years. There is nothing in life I have loved more. The reality check is that I am 41-years-old. I do not have many more summers in me where I will be skateboard, at all, let alone with what ability I still have. I need make the best use of the time I have left, before age, and a crippled body, takes it away from me forever. I am not asserting how young I am. Quite the contrary. I am asserting how old I am. I have not decided I don’t like where my life is going. I am a skateboarder, and that is exactly where I want my life to be. It’s not a mid-crisis. It’s a mid-life awakening. Do what you love, before you can’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment